CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 3, 2011

Small Victories in Perspective

So, at the beginning of 2007, I was inspired by a phrase sent to me in an email from my mother. It was, "To succeed at what is easy is a small victory."

That inspiring phrase drove me to consider a return to college at 39 years old. I earned my MBA in two years while hardly pausing to take a breath. It was a difficult, exciting, time-consuming, enlightening, frustrating, friendship-building, confidence-testing, and at-times-tedious experience. When I walked across that stage and was handed my diploma, I felt that I had indeed won a meaningful victory.

It is now 4 years later. Life is as busy as ever. My kids are growing up so fast. My schedule is loaded.

As I reflect on that phrase that inspired me to take on as something as daunting as a graduate degree, I find a completely different motivation in my life.

I find that today, I'm longing for small victories. I recognize now more than ever before that the small daily battles are the pivot points around which our entire lives revolve. Small victories. Everyday victories. The little choices that make the big differences. The moments in which we define ourselves ... and our lives.

May you have a year of small victories.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

First of all, YAY! You're blogging! Second, thanks. I needed this.

Leslie said...

Yahooooo! Welcome back! So, my daily checking of your blog has finally paid off. Small victories are all that I ever aspire to. Thanks. And I'm very proud of your momentous victories as well!

Jesse C said...

Love this post John. Your writing is great.

Shua said...

This is exactly what Elder Christofferson's CES fireside was about on Sunday. Love it.